Why are Rainforests Important?

risk forest assessment

Rainforest is one of the most beautiful type of forest which also home to a variety of plant and animal species. Moreover, rainforests also play a massive role for our planet to stay healthy. We depend mainly on oxygen while breathing and exhale carbon dioxide. The exhaled carbon dioxide is mainly absorbed by the trees of the forest. Here are a few reasons as to why rainforests are important.

  1. It is Home to Plants and Animals – Around 30million species of plants and animals live in tropical rainforests. Based on the figures, about half of the wildlife population and two-thirds of plant population live and survive in rainforests alone. Although many species of plants and animals are discovered, many more species are still undiscovered.
  2. It is Home to Ancestral People – For more than thousands of years, the rainforest is home to indigenous people who get their source food, shelter, and medicines directly from the rainforest. However, many companies often target to remove trees in large numbers in order to generate business. This harms the trees along with the people staying there.
  3. It Helps in Regulating the Climate – Rainforests are capable of storing water in the form of huge sponge. The water is drawn from the forest floor and then released back to the atmosphere which continuously feeds the water to the lakes, rivers, irrigation systems etc.
  4. It Helps Pharma Companies – Around 25% of modern medicines often comes from the plants of the rainforests. At the moment, a small figure of 1% medicines have been learnt. Now, you can imagine health benefits when the remaining 99% of the plants to be used as medicines are learnt.

Doing forest risk assessment is important.

Tags: , , ,

Comments are closed.